Thursday 28 February 2013

Let's Just Be Friends ...



When two people break up, sometimes they want it to be as amicable as possible and use that god awful phrase 'Let's just be friends'. Now I have always been a firm believer that if you break up with someone and nothing horrible has been the cause of it that you should stay friends with that person.


Only now am I learning just how hard that can be. Now I have had a few relationships in the past but only two in which I would call 'proper relationships'. My most recent lasted for a year and as you may already be aware, ended around 8 weeks ago now.


Up until this point we have stayed friends, we were even living together for 6 weeks after until our lease on our house ended. Now I don't know if this is me being what I like to call 'a woman' but the past couple of days I have been getting really emotional about us finishing. It isn't even the fact that we have ended that has been getting me down, it is more the fact that the plans that we made won't happen now.


So with me in this emotional state ... obviously, to me, the most logical thing for me to do is send him a message that purely reads... 'I miss you xxx'. 

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I know we won't be getting back together and in a way I am ok with that because when I look back I realise  that maybe it was the best thing for us and I wasn't as happy as I would have like but that doesn't stop me missing him as a person.


He has been very diplomatic about it all and he has said all the right things to try and make me feel better  and, well, to be fair he actually sent me a message back but my whole point is ... can we actually stay friends? Or would it be best for me and my sanity to cut all ties. We have known each other for 9 years so naturally I don't want to lose him as he has been such a big part of my life and especially my love life as he was my first boyfriend too.


This subject is well documented in movies and TV shows, the most recent example is in the US show 'How I  Met Your Mother'. Two of the lead male characters have had a relationship with one of the female lead characters and both relationships have ended and all has been fine, they have all got on great and remained friends. We all know that subjects TV shows and movies touch on are glorified but the question still remains, can we stay friends with an ex or will feelings always be there? Have you managed to come out of a relationship and stayed friends with an ex? I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.





*Image Ref : google.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment